Monday, June 27, 2011

Sew Everything Workshop Book Review

[Photo from Workman publishing]

A few weeks ago we took a family trip to the library. Originally it was to use the internet since ours was out but since I was there I thought I would look for a book on sewing, since I have a machine and only really know the basics of sewing straight lines. Our library didn’t have a wide selection of craft books published in this decade but I did find a book called Sew Everything Workshop by Diana Rupp. Let me start off by saying I love this book. I really need to buy my own copy so that I can stop renewing this one.
Like all my other books this book has a very fun to read, down to earth tone to it. I like craft books that I can sit and read like a novel, not just like a boring step by step instructional. It starts off with an introduction of the author of the book Diana Rupp. She owns a craft school in New York called Make Workshop, where I definitely have to go and check out sometime soon. It also gives you tips and pointers on setting up your sewing area and supplying your sewing box with all the necessities and fun luxuries.
One of my favorite parts is that it explains exactly how a sewing machine works, and the difference between machines and how to pick one that is right for your needs. Not only does it have everything you need to know to get started sewing but an overview of different types of fabrics and notions, and how to use them.
At the end of this book it has 25 patterns to get you started sewing. It has a little bit of everything, a jacket, dresses, stuff for your home, for your guy (boxers, and a tie), even something for your pet, or baby. Out of the 25 patterns 10 have actual paper patterns to follow. Don’t know how to use a paper pattern? That’s ok, in the chapters beforehand it gives you very detailed instructions on how to do so.
I followed the instructions on how to make a sewing machine cover. It said to use oil cloth, but I just used an old curtain I had on hand and it came out great. I plan to jazz it up later with some decorations, maybe something to make it a little sturdier.
Excuse the photo; I’m not in my normal element so I had to work with what I had.

Here is the detail of the stitching at the bottom. It was my first use of a decorative stitch!


The last chapter of the book is titled “hand sewing 101” which gives you a little insight on the basics. A short resources guide lists all the different places handy for a new sewer to know. It even lists a few good blogs, and we all know how much I love a good crafty blog.
Oh, and yes I do realize all the books I have reviewed come from Workman Publishing, that wasn’t on purpose, I realized that after I finished reading this one, but hey, they know a good thing.

No comments: